I really need advice and would like to know what other people would chose to do in this situation. Sorry for long post but I dont want to drip feed.
I have a toddler, 2 adult cats and a very old bunny. I’ve always wanted a blue point ragdoll. I already have a seal ragdoll. I use to be a foster carer for kittens and cats, and my cats are quite use to them. I had arranged to get a kitten from a breeder, but one of my cats got sick and the resulting vet bill wiped out my savings, and I could no longer afford a 1.5k kitten (and wasn’t sure I wanted to spend that anyway).
Fast forward a few weeks. I see an ad for a 4 month old ragdoll kitten. No price, so I message the owner. They offer him for $400. I decide to buy him. We arrange for me to pick him up, but the night before the buyer pulls out. Id already bought some kitten food and toys, so Im quite sad but assume it wasn’t meant to be.
A week later the owner contacts me to ask if Im still interested. I am. They drop him off, and he is beautiful. Gorgeous little kitten, sweet as can be. I know I need to arrange desexing soon, but otherwise he is perfect.
That night I notice he is limping on his back leg. I message the previous owner, they confirm that he had a limp 4 weeks ago from jumping but that it had healed. I wonder if he’s just strained it again, but by morning I’m not liking the look of it and decide to take him to my vet. My vet x-rays his leg and confirms that it is broken ;_;. The break is at least 3 weeks old. The vet quotes me 1.7k+ for surgery, up to a possible 5k. Will be a week or 2 before they can do the surgery.
I let the previous owner know what’s happened, and they kindly offer to take him back and return my money, and even pay the vet bill. Or if I keep him, they will return some money to me to help pay for surgery.
I’m looking at 3 weeks of recovery, plus possible things going wrong in surgery (have you ever tried to confine a kitten for 3 weeks!). Surgery seems quite scary.
So, what would you do, keep the kitten and pay for surgery, return him to the previous owner and hope they take care of him, or surrender him to a shelter?